Thinking of learning an instrument, wondering what you could do with your music once you get to a good standard?
Then, if like me you are a struggling rock star with more emphasis on the struggling than the rockstar you might want to consider joining a wedding/function band.
As with all jobs there are good and bad points. Let’s start with the good….
- The money for a start! Being in a wedding band is fairly well paid compared to playing pub gigs.
- It can also be a lot of fun playing weddings and parties with your band mates.
- Our band also gets to play in many nice venues around the country , many of which are set in beautiful grounds.
- Meeting lots of nice people is another good thing about the job and they are normally in good spirits as it’s either their special day or party time (or both)!
There are a few negatives though.
- Commitment is essential and you need to be available at weekends and bank holidays as this is when the vast majority of the work is.
- Band work can also be unpredictable with the summer months being a lot busier than the winter months, where work can be a little scarce. A negative for my band, however great for those who are looking for a band for a wedding or event in the quieter months as many bands offer discounts including my band Superfuzz!
- Then there is the music itself! You won’t be playing your favourite blues or any zeppelin-esque riffs, instead a lot of it is middle of the road cheese but we try to keep our sets as good as possible for a wedding group.
Overall being in a function band is a lot of fun! We have a lot of laughs and the odd beer and if you are committed and have the necessary skill to turn your hand to lots of different styles of music then it might just be for you!
If you’re looking for a wedding or function band then why not consider my band Superfuzz.
Superfuzz are the best function and wedding band in the country, with years of experience and expertise to get your party going!